• News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Home News

South African Businesswoman And Two Ugandan Nationals Arrested For R2 million Romance Scams

Omotayo Daranjo by Omotayo Daranjo
November 23, 2024
in News
0
0
SHARES
23
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

Posted by Amarachi on Fri 22nd Nov, 2024 – tori.ng

They appeared in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’ Court in Ekurhuleni on Thursday, November 21, 2024, on charges of fraud.

Mmkgomo Doris Ngcobo  Derrick Nsubuga, Nassazi Jo

A South African businesswoman, Mmkgomo Doris Ngcobo alongside two Ugandan nationals,  Derrick Nsubuga, 34, and Nassazi Jo have been arrested for R2 million romance scams.

They appeared in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’ Court in Ekurhuleni on Thursday, November 21, 2024, on charges of fraud.  

Ngcobo was arrested by the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, also known as the Hawks. She is accused by different victims of romance scams of being central to the fraudulent scheme where the victims were defrauded and left nursing heartaches.

“Three fraudsters who were arrested on Friday, November 15, following the Hawks’ Serious Commercial Crime investigation into their role in a fraudulent dating scam are expected back in court on Monday, December 9, for a bail hearing,” said Gauteng Hawks spokesperson, Captain Lloyd Ramovha.

Ngcobo faces a different case, and the prosecutor Alistair Appel told the court that the Limpopo woman and her co-accused were involved in romance scams amounting to R2 million.

Magistrate Sheron Soko-Rantao subsequently ruled that due to the amount involved, the three accused faced a serious schedule five offence.

The Hawks in Gauteng explained on one of the cases faced by Ngcobo and her co-accused.

“This (arrest) follows a case of fraud that was registered at Sandton police station in September 2024. The accused are two Ugandan nationals, Derrick Nsubuga, Nassazi Joan, and a South African citizen, Mmakgomo Doris Ngcobo, 42.”

It is alleged that in July 2024, the complainant, a South African woman whose identity is withheld to protect her, met an individual named “Troy” on dating site Badoo.

“After engaging in conversations, the suspect persuaded the complainant to continue their dialogue via WhatsApp,” said Ramovha.

“A few days later, they agreed to meet in person. He invited the complainant to an address in Sandton where he introduced her to a woman claiming to be his aunt, a traditional healer.”

The “aunt” convinced the unsuspecting woman that she had bad luck and need a cleansing ritual, to wash away the misfortune.

“During the ritual, the complainant was deceived into believing her ancestors were advising her to venture into business. Following the ritual, the victim was convinced to apply for a loan, purportedly to invest in a business blessed by her ancestors,” said Ramovha.

The woman withdrew R20,000 and transferred R233,000 to an account, in order to receive her ‘blessings’

Subsequently, the Hawks said the woman was told to apply for another cash loan before she was mysteriously robbed of the money while she was on her way to deliver the money to the scammers.

Realising that she had been scammed, the complainant reported the incident at the Sandton police station.

The case was assigned to the Hawks for an investigation that resulted in the recent arrests, following a raid at a house in Roodepoort, Johannesburg.

The Hawks said officers pounced on the scammers who were in the process of scamming yet another woman.

The trio appeared in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Monday, where the case was postponed to Thursday.

The Hawks said further arrests related to this case are anticipated.

Meanwhile, Gauteng head of the Hawks, Major General Ebrahim Kadwa has warned residents about the pitfalls of online dating, which has left numerous women stranded over the years.

“While online dating platforms provide a convenient way to meet new people, they also present significant risks. As seen in this case, individuals with malicious intentions often use dating apps to deceive and exploit victims,” said Kadwa.

“Always verify the identity of the person you are communicating with, and be cautious of any requests for money or personal information,” 
he said.

“The Hawks are committed to protect the public and ensuring a safe online environment. Should you suspect any fraudulent activity, please report it to the authorities.”

Derrick Nsubuga
Mmkgomo Doris Ngcobo

 

Tags: BUSINESWOMAN AND TWO UGANDANR2 MIIION ROMANCE SCAMSOUTH AFRICAN

Related Posts

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes
News

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

August 29, 2025
NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 
News

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

August 29, 2025
You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo
News

You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo

August 29, 2025
Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola
News

Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola

August 29, 2025
Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution
News

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

August 26, 2025
Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles
News

Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles

August 22, 2025
Next Post

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Trumpet International Magazine is a real-time and comprehensive news magazine. It is an independent, national news provider for Africans, reporting daily developments and events in South Africa and other African Countries and their Citizens based in South Africa.

Categories

  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts

Recent Post

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo

Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

News
Omotayo Daranjo
South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

Authorities in the City of Tshwane have begun

Read More »

Trumpet Magazine | © 2021.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram

Add New Playlist