• News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Home News

Musk to charge X users monthly subscription fee

Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA by Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA
September 19, 2023
in News
0
Musk to charge X users monthly subscription fee
0
SHARES
25
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Elon Musk has suggested that all users of X, formerly called Twitter, may have to pay for access to the platform.

In a conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the billionaire said a payment system was the only way to counter bots.

READ ALSO

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

“We’re moving to having a small monthly payment for use of the system,” the Tesla and SpaceX boss said.

The BBC approached X for further details but has not yet received a statement from the company.

It is unclear whether this was just an off-the-cuff comment or a signal of firmer plans that have yet to be announced.

Mr Musk has long said that his solution for getting rid of bots and fake accounts on the social media platform is to charge for verification.

Since taking over Twitter last year, he has looked to incentivise users to pay for an enhanced service, which is now called X Premium.

This has been done by giving paid subscribers more features, like longer posts and increased visibility on the platform.

However, users can currently still use X for free.

Although there is a clear financial interest for the company to charge users, Mr Musk insisted that getting people to pay for the service is aimed at tackling bots.

“A bot costs a fraction of a penny” to make, he said. “But if somebody even has to pay a few dollars or something, some minor amount, the effective cost to bots is very high”.

X Premium currently costs $8 (£6.50) a month in the US. The price differs depending on which country a subscriber is in.

The world’s richest person said that he was now looking at cheaper options for users.

“We’re actually going to come up with lower-tier pricing. So we just want it to be a small amount of money,” he said.

“This is a longer discussion, but in my view, this is actually the only defence against vast armies of bots,” Mr Musk added.

However, a risk is that by putting X behind a paywall, it may lose a large chunk of its users. That, in turn, could drive down advertising revenue, which currently accounts for the vast majority of the company’s income.

Mr Musk’s conversation with the Israeli prime minister also touched on antisemitism.

The platform has been accused by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) campaign group of not doing enough to stop antisemitic content.

In a statement, the organisation said that Mr Musk was “engaging with and elevating” antisemites.

Earlier this month, he said that the company would sue the ADL to “clear our platform’s name”.

In the conversation with Mr Netanyahu, Mr Musk reiterated that he was “against antisemitism”.

Mr Netanyahu accepted that the balance between free speech and content moderation was a challenge but urged Mr Musk to get the balance right.

“I hope you find within the confines of the First Amendment the ability to stop not only antisemitism but any collective hatred of people that antisemitism represents,” he said.

“I know you’re committed to that”, Mr. Netanyahu added.

Related Posts

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes
News

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

August 29, 2025
NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 
News

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

August 29, 2025
You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo
News

You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo

August 29, 2025
Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola
News

Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola

August 29, 2025
Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution
News

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

August 26, 2025
Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles
News

Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles

August 22, 2025
Next Post
Plot To Prevail On Tinubu To Stop Ongoing Probe Of CBN Exposed

Plot To Prevail On Tinubu To Stop Ongoing Probe Of CBN Exposed

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Trumpet International Magazine is a real-time and comprehensive news magazine. It is an independent, national news provider for Africans, reporting daily developments and events in South Africa and other African Countries and their Citizens based in South Africa.

Categories

  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts

Recent Post

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo

Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

News
Omotayo Daranjo
South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

Authorities in the City of Tshwane have begun

Read More »

Trumpet Magazine | © 2021.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram

Add New Playlist