• News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Home News

EFCC goes after church for receiving N7 Billion fraud proceeds

Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA by Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA
February 1, 2024
in News
0
EFCC goes after church for receiving N7 Billion fraud proceeds
0
SHARES
214
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ola Olukoyede, has revealed that the anti-graft agency traced the sum of N7bn, suspected to be proceeds of money laundering, to a religious organisation.

He said another religious group was found to be laundering money for terrorists.

READ ALSO

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

The EFCC chairman made the revelation on Wednesday at the Musa Yar’Adua Centre, Abuja, during a one-day dialogue on “Youth, Religion, and the Fight against Corruption.”

He said some of the religious organisations, institutions, sects, and bodies in the country had been found to be aiding and abetting fraudsters and terrorists.

Olukoyede stated that the EFCC discovered the laundered N7bn in the bank account of a religious organisation in the course of  investigating a N13bn fraud.

Though he did not reveal the identity of the religious organisation, a source in the anti-agency privy to the case told our correspodent that it was a church.

The EFCC chairman vowed that the anti-graft agency would recover the money through the court.

Olukoyede said, “We were investigating a N13bn money laundering case when we discovered that N7bn of the N13bn was linked to a religious organisation’s bank account.

“When we approached the religious organisation about it and we were carrying out our investigation, we got a restraining order stopping us from carrying out our investigation.”

Olukoyede, however, said the EFCC would not give up on the investigation as the restraining court order had been appealed.

Meanwhile, the EFCC chairman said the anti-graft agency also uncovered another unnamed religious body laundering money for a terrorist organisation.

“No one will be spared, we’ll probe everyone who is suspected to be committing financial crimes, and these includes members of the executive, legislative, and judiciary arms of government,” Olukoyede added.

He said since his assumption of office as the EFCC chairman about three months ago, the anti-graft agency had secured 747 convictions, mostly cybercrime.

He said the one–day event, tagged “Youth, Religion and the Fight Against Corruption,” was aimed at addressing the challenges of youth involvement in cybercrimes and how religion could be used as a weapon for their reorientation.

Vice President Kashim Shettima, who represented President Bola Tinubu at the event, spoke extensively about the need to curb corruption in government and among the young people.

Other dignitaries present at the dialogue were the Attorney General of the Federation, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), a former Minister of Power, Babatunde Fashola, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Ogunwusi, the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar, the President, Christian Association of Nigeria,Archbishop Daniel Okoh, the Chairperson, Nigeria Committee of Vice Chancellors, Prof.  Lilian Salami, and the Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede.

Related Posts

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes
News

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

August 29, 2025
NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 
News

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

August 29, 2025
You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo
News

You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo

August 29, 2025
Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola
News

Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola

August 29, 2025
Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution
News

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

August 26, 2025
Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles
News

Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles

August 22, 2025
Next Post
Why I cannot work with LP- Sowore

Why I cannot work with LP- Sowore

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Trumpet International Magazine is a real-time and comprehensive news magazine. It is an independent, national news provider for Africans, reporting daily developments and events in South Africa and other African Countries and their Citizens based in South Africa.

Categories

  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts

Recent Post

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo

Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

News
Omotayo Daranjo
South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

Authorities in the City of Tshwane have begun

Read More »

Trumpet Magazine | © 2021.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram

Add New Playlist