• News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Home News

Cabbie who allowed passenger into taxi with €140k of cocaine says ‘I want my licence back’

Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA by Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA
March 13, 2024
in News
0
Cabbie who allowed passenger into taxi with €140k of cocaine says ‘I want my licence back’
0
SHARES
46
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A ‘role-model’ taxi driver whose licence was suspended after he allowed a third party to possess two kilos of cocaine in his vehicle has told the Sunday World he wants his taxi licence returned to him.

Shabakiyu Sanusi of Forest Mill Crescent, Athlone, pleaded guilty at Cork Circuit Court to an offence that, on November 4, 2021 at M8 Glanmire, Cork, he was in control of a 2015-registered Toyota Prius and did knowingly permit the possession of a controlled drug.

READ ALSO

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles

The background of the case was that he was a taxi driver whose vehicle was stopped and searched.

His passenger was carrying two kilos of cocaine in a bag with a street value of €140,000.

Sanusi, who was given a two-year sentence for the offence, told the Sunday World last week: “I’m still seeking my licence back … I’m expecting it back.”

Asked whether he believed he should get his licence back given the offence he had pleaded guilty to, Sanusi replied: “Yes, because everything is a lesson, and when you get a lesson, it doesn’t mean that you are ever going to commit that offence anymore.

Sanusi talks to our reporter
Sanusi talks to our reporter

“But I don’t want to talk to the paper. This is impromptu and this is the first time this had happened to me.”

When it was put to the 61-year-old that in circumstances where a person is convicted of knowingly transporting such a large quantity of drugs they might expect to be jailed, he responded: “I am not the one.

“It was a customer who had the drugs in his own private property and it was the customer who was caught.

“He didn’t discuss with me that he was carrying cocaine.

“If he discussed it with me, I wouldn’t have taken him.”

Asked then, why he had pleaded guilty to knowingly allowing a third party to possess the cocaine in his vehicle, Sanusi responded: “Because, when he was transporting the bag into my car, I knew that he was transporting the bag into my car. I don’t know what was inside of the bag,”

Sanusi then said he needed to speak with his lawyer before saying anything further.

Our reporter provided Sanusi with his email address in the event his lawyer wished to issue a further statement.

At the court sitting held in Cork, Judge Colin Daly said: “He appears to have allowed his passenger to keep the drugs in the vehicle. I take into consideration that his role was a minor, secondary role.

“Despite the significant value of drugs, I am satisfied the headline should be three years.

“In mitigation, there is his plea of guilty and his co-operation, so the headline sentence can be reduced to two years.

“He is a 61-year-old man now. A family man, previously of good character.

“He is an important role model in the migrant community where he lives.

“His taxi licence is suspended and, most likely, will be lost as a result of this offence.

“He has shown remorse, which I believe is genuine. He has remained [in the country] to deal with the charges.

“His co-accused made a different choice.”

The judge acceded to the application by defence barrister, Alan O’Dwyer, to impose a fully suspended sentence.

Judge Daly imposed a suspended two-year sentence on Mr Sanusi.

Related Posts

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution
News

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

August 26, 2025
Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles
News

Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles

August 22, 2025
Edo state government bans Nursery and Primary graduation parties
News

Edo state government bans Nursery and Primary graduation parties

August 21, 2025
FG lists federal hospitals where dialysis costs N12,000, says patients in Northwest not excluded
News

FG lists federal hospitals where dialysis costs N12,000, says patients in Northwest not excluded

August 21, 2025
BREAKING: FG Shuts Down Over 13 Million Social Media Accounts For Offensive Content
News

BREAKING: FG Shuts Down Over 13 Million Social Media Accounts For Offensive Content

August 21, 2025
Top ten Nigerian companies with the largest cash in the bank
News

Top ten Nigerian companies with the largest cash in the bank

August 16, 2025
Next Post
Okonjo-Iweala Tasks Nigeria To Ensure Return Of Abducted Students, Teachers In Kaduna, Sokoto

Okonjo-Iweala Tasks Nigeria To Ensure Return Of Abducted Students, Teachers In Kaduna, Sokoto

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Trumpet International Magazine is a real-time and comprehensive news magazine. It is an independent, national news provider for Africans, reporting daily developments and events in South Africa and other African Countries and their Citizens based in South Africa.

Categories

  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts

Recent Post

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles

Done deal: Younger brother of former Super Eagles striker joins Kaizer Chiefs

Edo state government bans Nursery and Primary graduation parties

FG lists federal hospitals where dialysis costs N12,000, says patients in Northwest not excluded

News
Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA
Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

Warri, Delta State — Senator Ede Dafinone, representing

Read More »

Trumpet Magazine | © 2021.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram

Add New Playlist