• News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Home Sports

Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta says he would be banned if he spoke about Paul Tierney’s north London derby performance

Omotayo Daranjo by Omotayo Daranjo
May 13, 2022
in Sports
0
Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta says he would be banned if he spoke about Paul Tierney’s north London derby performance
0
SHARES
35
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

Man.United icon Rio Ferdinand reveals he is using wheelchair due to back injuries from his football career

Champions League: Three big teams facing elimination from group stage

Mikel Arteta after Arsenal’s 3-0 defeat at Tottenham: “If I say what I think I am suspended for six months”; Antonio Conte says that Arteta “complains too much”; Tottenham one point behind Arsenal in race for top four with two games to play

Thursday 12 May 2022 23:58, UK

Mikel Arteta accused the match officials of “destroying a beautiful game” after 10-man Arsenal suffered a damaging 3-0 north London derby defeat and then was accused of complaining too much by Tottenham boss Antonio Conte.

Arsenal were trailing to Harry Kane’s first-half penalty when Rob Holding prevented Heung-Min Son from racing in behind with a shoulder barge and saw red for a second bookable offence.

Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta says he would be banned if he spoke about Paul Tierney’s north London derby performance

Referee Paul Tierney and VAR had earlier ignored an apparent elbow from Son on Holding but showed no hesitation giving the Gunners centre-back his marching orders, a decision which riled Arteta.

  • Tottenham 3-0 Arsenal – Match report and highlights
  • How the teams lined up | Match stats
  • Live Premier League table | Premier League fixtures

“If I say what I think I am suspended for six months,” Arteta told Sky Sports. “I don’t know how to lie so I prefer not to say what I think. I cannot say what I think.

“I want the referees to come in front of the camera and explain his decisions. It’s a shame because such a beautiful game was destroyed today.

“I am not unhappy with my players. I am proud of my players. The decision was made. We can’t change it. The referee has to make a decision in football.”

Defeat at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium cut Arsenal’s advantage over their north London rivals in the race for Champions League qualification to a point with two games to play.

Also See:

  • Tottenham 3-0 Arsenal – Match report

  • Live Premier League table

  • How the teams lined up

  • Match stats

With the Gunners travelling to Newcastle on Monday Night Football – live on Sky Sports – for a pivotal penultimate game of the season, Arteta was keen to draw a line under Thursday’s derby defeat.

“Our focus is Newcastle,” Arteta added. “This game is history. This is gone. It went out of our hands and we have to accept it. Now we need to be the team that you saw from the beginning.

  • How to watch free Premier League highlights
  • Get Sky Sports | Download the Sky Sports App

“When you lose a football match in the conditions, we lost them it’s painful. But we have a huge match on Monday so we will try to beat them. We have two games to play each. It’s in our hands and now we have to do our jobs. We showed from the beginning in this game.”

Conte: Arteta complains too much

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte was critical of Mikel Arteta after comments made after the game by the Arsenal boss.

Conte revelled in taking a dig at his opposite number in his post-match press conference, offering Arteta some personal “advice” on complaining less following the Arsenal manager’s comments about Tierney’s performance.

He also pointed to his own temperament when Liverpool’s Fabinho was not shown a red card for a bad challenge on Heung-Min Son during their 1-1 draw at Anfield in their previous game on Saturday.

He said: “[Arteta] is a really good coach, he can become an important coach in the future. But in six months I have listened to him complain a lot.

“He’s just started in his job, and I have listened to him complain a lot. I think he has to be focused more on his team, and not complaining. I think he has to be calmer, and try to continue to work because he is very good. But a coach complaining a lot is not good.

preview image
 
Antonio Conte hailed the fans and his players after Tottenham dismantled a woeful Arsenal 3-0 in their pivotal north London derby, with the race for the top four heating up.

“The red card for me was clear. Don’t forget against Liverpool, I said nothing about what happened with Fabinho. If we want to complain, we have the possibility every game to speak about the referee, decisions, postponed games.

“If you remember, he complained about the [postponed] fixture. At the time I said it was not good to complain, because Arsenal were happy to postpone the game in an incredible way for Covid positives, and they only had one player with Covid. I did not forget this.”

preview image
 
 
 
 
 
After Mikel Arteta said in his post-match press conference: ‘If I speak, I will get suspended’ when asked about the refereeing in Arsenal’s 3-0 defeat at Spurs, Jamie Redknapp said he could not understand what Arteta would have complaints about.

As much as January’s postponed north London derby had clearly stuck in the Spurs head coach’s mind, Conte said his players had also used the late call-off from Arsenal as inspiration for their victory four months on.

He added: “I think for sure [the postponement was a motivation]. It wasn’t a good situation, we were ready to play at that time and to see it postponed in that way made us a bit angry. But we know this is the past, the present is different.

“I have said before I would like to play against Arsenal with all the players available. I think my players were a bit angry for the first game too, because we lost 3-1. It was an important target tonight.”

Neville: Big for Conte | Spurs favourites now

“What is happening with Conte at the end of the season? Tonight, there are not going to be many clubs in Europe that Conte is going to be able to go to. This is the league at the moment,” said Gary Neville, speaking on The Gary Neville Podcast.

“I have been critical of this league four or five years ago when it was underperforming in Europe but this is a great league at this moment in time with great managers. It is where I think you want to be a manager in terms of showcasing yourself.

“I think for Conte that was big tonight. Champions League? No brainer, he stays. The only problem is that he wants to be in the Champions League, he needs to be in the Champions League. So, I do think it is a big night. But irrespective of whether they get into the Champions League, this must have an impact on Conte. I know he is quite ruthless about where he wants to be and what he wants to do. But that must have had an impact on him.

“Those players out there will see something building if they get in this Champions League. It is going to do unbelievable things for Spurs. They look a bit more experienced, more composed, more mature and in order. Arsenal look more fragile. In the last week of the season, you want that reliability. I do see Spurs being favourites now.”

Tags: MIKEL ARTETA SAYS HE WOULD BE BANNED

Related Posts

Man.United icon Rio Ferdinand reveals he is using wheelchair due to back injuries from his football career
Sports

Man.United icon Rio Ferdinand reveals he is using wheelchair due to back injuries from his football career

February 11, 2026
Champions League: Three big teams facing elimination from group stage
Sports

Champions League: Three big teams facing elimination from group stage

January 28, 2026
AFCON: What I told Mane after Senegal players left pitch against Morocco – Claude Le Roy
Sports

AFCON: What I told Mane after Senegal players left pitch against Morocco – Claude Le Roy

January 21, 2026
It’s tough for me – Anthony Joshua opens up on friends’ death
Sports

It’s tough for me – Anthony Joshua opens up on friends’ death

January 8, 2026
AFCON: Davido wins $96,564 bet on Nigeria win against Tanzania
Sports

AFCON: Davido wins $96,564 bet on Nigeria win against Tanzania

December 24, 2025
Nigeria: Why Okoye, Moffi, Arokodare, Others Were Left Out of Super Eagles’ Afcon Squad
Sports

Nigeria: Why Okoye, Moffi, Arokodare, Others Were Left Out of Super Eagles’ Afcon Squad

December 15, 2025
Next Post
Former minister, Ewuga’s pilot-daughter, 11 others die in plane crash

Former minister, Ewuga’s pilot-daughter, 11 others die in plane crash

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Trumpet International Magazine is a real-time and comprehensive news magazine. It is an independent, national news provider for Africans, reporting daily developments and events in South Africa and other African Countries and their Citizens based in South Africa.

Categories

  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts

Recent Post

No more discord with Fubara – Nyesom Wike says after President Tinubu’s recent intervention

Man.United icon Rio Ferdinand reveals he is using wheelchair due to back injuries from his football career

US To Deport Invictus Obi And 17 More Nigerians On Criminal List

Former ADC national woman leader, Kayauta Yakubu, officialy received in APC

2026 Budget Defence: Senate Applauds Health Ministry’s Wide-Ranging Performance

News
Omotayo Daranjo
No more discord with Fubara – Nyesom Wike says after President Tinubu’s recent intervention

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT),

Read More »

Trumpet Magazine | © 2021.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram

Add New Playlist