• News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Home News

AKA’s alleged killers were nabbed for other crimes and kept in jail while cops probed their link to his killing

Omotayo Daranjo by Omotayo Daranjo
February 29, 2024
in News
0
AKA’s alleged killers were nabbed for other crimes and kept in jail while cops probed their link to his killing
0
SHARES
26
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Slain rapper Kiernan “AKA” Forbes was followed by his attackers from the time he landed at the airport in Durban to the Hilton Hotel, then to Wish restaurant where he had his last meal and was assassinated on February 10 2023.

This was revealed by KwaZulu-Natal police on Tuesday night when they announced six people linked to the murder of AKA and his friend, renowned chef Tebello “Tibz” Motsoane, have been arrested over the past 10 months.

READ ALSO

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

Here are AKA & Tibz’ alleged killers: First appearance in Durban court

AKA’s murder: one year later and no arrests…What happened?

‘Not far from dealing final blow in the AKA murder case’ says Bheki Cele in latest update

Alleged AKA murder suspects arrested in Cape Town

CCTV of armed men robbing woman in Florida road, 800m away from where AKA was killed

Police top brass, including minister Bheki Cele and KwaZulu-Natal commissioner Lt-Gen Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, said the first suspect appeared in court after his arrest in April 2023. He was arrested in connection with another crime.

They said police are hunting for a seventh suspect who is in hiding.

Mkhwanazi said the six arrested suspects played different roles in the operation. 

He said there was a coordinator who facilitated the plan, two shooters, two spotters and a person who organised the murder weapons and getaway vehicles.

WHO IS WHO

Spotter 1 : According to Mkhwanazi, this spotter was inside the restaurant moments before AKA was shot dead. He was observing AKA. He had followed him from the airport on arrival. The suspects followed him to the hotel and the restaurant.

Spotter 2: Mkhwanazi said the second spotter was responsible for watching AKA outside the restaurant.

Co-ordinator: This person was responsible for hiring the team and ensuring resources were acquired. He also made payments to those involved. 

Facilitator: Police said this suspect supplied the firearms and vehicles. He is  linked to other two murder cases, said Mkhwanazi.

Shooter 1: One of the alleged killers was linked to another murder case.

Shooter 2: The second triggerman was linked to two other murder cases.

EVIDENCE 

Mkhwanazi said police have recovered four vehicles, firearms believed to have been used to commission the murder and cartridges picked up at the scene.

[BREAKTHROUGH] Minister Cele assures South Africans that the thorough investigations by detectives who have cracked the #AKA murder case have arrested the right people. Six people have been arrested so far for the murder of the musician and his friend. pic.twitter.com/7sp7G0SIFR

— Lirandzu Themba (@LirandzuThemba) February 27, 2024

TIMELINE

Police revealed it took less than a month to crack their first solid lead in the case.

According to Mkhwanazi:

  • On March 6 2023 the first vehicle, a Mercedes-Benz, linked to the crime was recovered.
  • On April 22 2023 a firearm believed to have been used for AKA’s murder was recovered.
  • On June 23 2023 police positively linked the firearm used for his murder to another murder.
  • On August 2 2023 a second vehicle, a BMW, was recovered. This is believed to have been the vehicle used to follow AKA from the airport to the hotel and restaurant.
  • On October 20 2023 a Grandi10 was recovered. It was also linked to the attack.
  • On October 23 2023 a Polo was recovered. It was also linked to the murders.

Mkhwanazi said the recovered vehicles were kept at police premises and were processed. He said they established some of the vehicles were hired.

THE PLAN

Mkhwanazi said after identifying the suspects, police decided to look for cases in which they were also involved, arrest them and keep them in custody. At this point, the group was not charged for the murders of AKA and Motsoane. 

“We wanted to make sure we got almost all the suspects, especially the organiser of the hit. After identifying everyone else, we realised at least four of the suspects had other cases.

TIMELINE FOR ARRESTS

The first person to be arrested on April 22 2023 was the facilitator who allegedly organised the firearms and vehicles. He was arrested and charged in connection with another case.

One of the spotters was arrested for another murder case on October 24 2023. He was also charged for AKA and Motsoane’s murders. 

A third suspect, the alleged co-ordinator, was arrested on December 14 2023. He was linked to another murder case but was not charged with the murders of AKA Motsoane. 

Two suspects, believed to be the shooters, were arrested in eSwatini on February 24 2024 for other cases.

eSwatini media broke the news about the arrest of the two alleged shooters, claiming there was an extradition case filed for the two suspects, who are South African nationals, to be returned to South Africa.

South African police however, denied the claims, saying the suspects were not linked to AKA and Motsoane’s murders.

Mkhwanazi, however, revealed that police were not forthcoming with information as they were worried this would jeopardise their case. 

Police claimed the eSwatini media reports led to the seventh suspect fleeing before he could be arrested. The two alleged shooters are brothers from Durban. They were living in a house with the seventh suspect. 

“Unfortunately the news broke of the arrest of the two suspects. When that happened, the last suspects we were looking for went on the run. Out of the six suspects arrested, four are here, and two are not here yet,” said Mkhwanazi. 

Explaining how the two were arrested, Mkhwanazi said police approached the National Prosecuting Authority, prepared an affidavit and submitted it through Interpol to request authorities in eSwatini to help track the two suspects.

Mkhwanazi said one of the men arrested in eSwatini is allegedly the “main guy” and his arrest makes the case stronger. 

The six suspects are expected to appear in court on Thursday while police search for the seventh suspect. They have not ruled out the possibility of further arrests. 

Cele said police had an idea about the motive for AKA’s murder and this would be revealed in court. Motsoane was reportedly not a target for the gunmen. Mkhwanazi said it appeared he had been caught in crossfire.

Related Posts

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes
News

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

August 29, 2025
NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 
News

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

August 29, 2025
You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo
News

You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo

August 29, 2025
Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola
News

Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola

August 29, 2025
Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution
News

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

August 26, 2025
Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles
News

Abaribe Rebuts Ichita’s Allegations, Lists Bills, Projects, Democratic Struggles

August 22, 2025
Next Post
Nigeria denies report of $10B Binance fine

Nigeria denies report of $10B Binance fine

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Trumpet International Magazine is a real-time and comprehensive news magazine. It is an independent, national news provider for Africans, reporting daily developments and events in South Africa and other African Countries and their Citizens based in South Africa.

Categories

  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts

Recent Post

South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

You Don’t Have Powers To Suspend LG Chairmen – AGF Fagbemi Warns Governor Okpebholo

Jonathan has not pulled out of 2027 presidential race – Cousin, Azibaola

Warri Crisis: Senator Dafinone Calls For Calm, Urges Peaceful Resolution

News
Omotayo Daranjo
South Africa demolishes Nigerian developer’s high-rise complexes

Authorities in the City of Tshwane have begun

Read More »

Trumpet Magazine | © 2021.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram

Add New Playlist