• News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Home News

Anambra LP Governorship Candidate, Agbasimalo Yet To Be Rescued Two Years After Abduction By Gunmen

Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA by Fatima OLUWAKEMI-SAKA
October 5, 2023
in News
0
Anambra LP Governorship Candidate, Agbasimalo Yet To Be Rescued Two Years After Abduction By Gunmen
0
SHARES
45
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Agbasimalo was kidnapped by the assailants on September 18, while on a campaign tour to Azhia in the Ihiala Local Government Area of the state.

It has been more than two years since the abduction of Mr. Obiora Agbasimalo, the Labour Party’s gubernatorial candidate in the 2021 Anambra State election, by unidentified gunmen, and his location remains undisclosed.

READ ALSO

It’s been extremely difficult for his children – Family asks public to stop sharing graphic videos and photos of murdered Oyo teacher

‘Why El-Rufai was moved to DSS’ custody’ – prosecution

SaharaReporters had in September 2021 reported that Agbasimalo was kidnapped by the assailants on September 18, while on a campaign tour to Azhia in the Ihiala Local Government Area of the state.

He has not been seen or heard of ever since the abduction.

Meanwhile, some Nigerians have been asking questions about his whereabouts and why security agencies, Anambra State government have remained conspicuously silent.

SaharaReporters in September 2022 reported that a human rights activist and lawyer, Prof Chidi Odinkalu, took to his X (formerly Twitter) account to question why the leadership of Labour Party and its supporters had been silent about his disappearance.

The former Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission and senior team manager for the Africa Program of Open Society Justice Initiative, in a tweet had said, “#OnThisDay in 2021, Obiora Agbasimalo, candidate of #LabourParty @NgLabour in #AnambraDecides2021, was abducted on his way to what was supposed to be a campaign rally. He has been disappeared since then & both the leadership of @NgLabour & its supporters have forgotten abt him.”

A coalition of Concerned Civil Society Organisations for Truth and Justice on December 12, 2021, had written to the Nigerian government and other security agencies to find Agbasimalo, giving them a 7-day ultimatum to do that or face civil disobedience.

Phil Roberts, who spoke on behalf of the coalition, said Obiora’s disappearance had triggered concerns from family members and friends, adding, “Whether he is dead or alive, no one knows and all these questions are begging for answers.”

“Who kidnapped Obiora Agbasimalo and how was he kidnapped?” he asked.

“Already family and friends are seeking for Obiora’s safety and his eventual release from his captors. We are as a matter of urgency by this press conference respectfully urging Mr President to direct the Nigerian Police Force, the Department of State Services DSS and other relevant security agencies to get to the root of this matter, in the interest of the peace and stability of not just the southeast region, but the nation at large.”

Roberts added that Nigeria must not continue to slide in the direction of chaos where people could no longer have freedom of movement or association.

Meanwhile, the Anambra High Court sitting in Nnewi has remanded two persons suspected to have a hand in the missing of Chief Obiora Agbasimalo.

The suspects, Jude Chukwudi Odimegwu and Nwokolo Chukwudi Maxwell, are facing a criminal charge bothering on the kidnapping of Agbasimalo while on a campaign tour at Lilu in Ihiala local government area ahead of the 2021 election.

Related Posts

It’s been extremely difficult for his children – Family asks public to stop sharing graphic videos and photos of murdered Oyo teacher
News

It’s been extremely difficult for his children – Family asks public to stop sharing graphic videos and photos of murdered Oyo teacher

May 19, 2026
‘Why El-Rufai was moved to DSS’ custody’ – prosecution
News

‘Why El-Rufai was moved to DSS’ custody’ – prosecution

May 19, 2026
Ebola: U.S. suspends entry for travellers from three African countries
News

Ebola: U.S. suspends entry for travellers from three African countries

May 19, 2026
Suspected Lakurawa terrorists kill two Customs officers in Kebbi
News

Suspected Lakurawa terrorists kill two Customs officers in Kebbi

May 13, 2026
No public record of Ebonyi assembly’s approval as Nwifuru obtains N20 billion loan
News

No public record of Ebonyi assembly’s approval as Nwifuru obtains N20 billion loan

May 13, 2026
NCAA introduces centralized digital platform for personnel licensing, medical certification
News

NCAA introduces centralized digital platform for personnel licensing, medical certification

May 13, 2026
Next Post
Mohbad: Lagos Commissioner of Police to address the media on Friday

Mohbad: Lagos Commissioner of Police to address the media on Friday

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Trumpet International Magazine is a real-time and comprehensive news magazine. It is an independent, national news provider for Africans, reporting daily developments and events in South Africa and other African Countries and their Citizens based in South Africa.

Categories

  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts
Menu
  • News
  • Article
  • Business
  • Health
  • Politics
  • Achievement/Profile
  • Sports
  • Features
  • Adverts

Recent Post

It’s been extremely difficult for his children – Family asks public to stop sharing graphic videos and photos of murdered Oyo teacher

‘Why El-Rufai was moved to DSS’ custody’ – prosecution

Ebola: U.S. suspends entry for travellers from three African countries

2027: I didn’t buy ADC presidential form to be Vice President – Amaechi

Suspected Lakurawa terrorists kill two Customs officers in Kebbi

News
Tunji Omotola
It’s been extremely difficult for his children – Family asks public to stop sharing graphic videos and photos of murdered Oyo teacher

The family of murdered Oyo school teacher, Michael

Read More »

Trumpet Magazine | © 2021.

Facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram

Add New Playlist